Ohio Corn & Wheat is hosting its annual Tallest Stalk Contest at the Farm Science Review, September 20-22, 2016. All Ohio farmers are encouraged to participate.
Stalks may be checked-in between 9 A.M. and 3 P.M. on Tuesday, September 20, or 9 A.M. and 1 P.M. on Wednesday, September 21.
“The Ohio Corn & Wheat Tallest Stalk Contest does more than just provide farmers an opportunity for friendly competition,” said Tadd Nicholson, executive director of Ohio Corn & Wheat. “It gives them an opportunity to showcase their hard work from this growing season.”
Judging will occur on September 21 at 1 P.M. Winners will be announced via Facebook, Twitter and Ohio Corn & Wheat’s website. Cash prizes are awarded to the top five stalks, with first place receiving $300.
- Open to Ohio farmers/farm families attending the 2016 Farm Science Review.
- All entries must be grown in the current year. (2016)
- Entries should be WITHOUT root balls. Brace roots are acceptable, and large brace roots can be trimmed back.
- Entries both with and without tassels are accepted.
- Entries both with and without ears are accepted.
- Measurement to determine height is done from the bottom of the stalk to the highest natural point when the stalk is upright. (Either the tip of the tassel when present or the natural arch of the highest leaf if no tassel is present.) Leaves will NOT be “pulled up” for official measuring. (Measurement is made to where the highest point would be if the stalk were free standing.)
- If two stalks are of the same height, the first tiebreaker will be the length of ear (stalk with largest ear wins or stalk with ear beats equal height stalk without ear). If ears are the same size or neither has ears, the second tiebreaker will be the measured circumference around the base of stalk. The thickest base wins.
- Stalks may be submitted for entry attached to a suitable support pole, pipe, or stick but should be fastened in such a manner that judges can determine no “splicing” was done. (Stalks must be one piece with no evidence of cutting and piecing together.)
4th $50 Cabella’s Gift Cards
5th $25 Cabella’s Gift Cards